Tuesday, February 22, 2011

30 Days of Music (#4) - A Song That Makes You Sad (Simone White)

Beep beep beep beep beep beep beep
go the horns in the cars in the street
we walked away from the lover's leap
opposite directions
synchronised feet
wait wait wait wait wait wait wait
for the time it takes a heart to mend a break
how many moons are reflected in the lake
can you wait forever if time is all it take? 
despite all the warnings
I landed like, a fallen star, in your arms
beat beat beat beat beat beat beat
goes my heart on the side of my sleeve
whispering something I can hardly believe
"let me take the lead
cos love is all we need 
 

Continuing my voyage through the 30 Days of Music challenge we arrive at Simone White's little gem 'The Beep Beep Beep Song'. Apparently it was on an ad for a car (what song isn't these days?) but a friend first introduced me to it a few years back and every now and again it appears via the auld iPod shuffle, leaving me floored. Lyrically, it's actually quite romantic, digressing the tentative first leap of two fledgling lovers but somewhere between that irrepressibly simple riff and the lingering melancholic vocals, a tone of sadness attached itself to my grey matter, rendering these isolated two minutes to be forever drenched in sadness. This song could be saying anything, it could be selling car insurance for what it's worth but those vocals, the key changes, the pauses...it now all adds up to a rainy day, when things fall apart; the broader picture escaping your grasp amid today's seemingly mountainous but realistically minute problems. Weep weep weep.



Check out: 

Day #1 - Favourite Song (David Kitt)
Day #2 - Least Favourite Song (Sham Rock)
Day #3 - A Song That Makes You Happy (MillionYoung)

No comments:

Post a Comment