Friday, February 4, 2011

Hidden Irish Indie Hits #4 - The Marshals

Fourth in a new series to uncover great Irish indie tunes which slipped through the cracks.

"How come we love to hurt other so?
I'd like to think it that my word is gold,
But I might let you down and you know it"

Check out:
HIIH #1 - Conor Furlong

HIIH #2 - Kharma 45

HIIH #3 - OrphanCode 

Summer 2006 and I was an impressionable 17 year old. With the Leaving Cert in the bag, and college months away, I was stuck in the most beautiful of purgatorial states and Oxegen that summer was an incredible experience - for that first taste of freedom, of mounds of music served up on a plate, of copious amounts of alcohol with your best friends - shall never be bettered. Hence, the music I heard during that rather rainy weekend down in Punchestown will always strike a chord with me and 'Make Her Cry' by The Marshals was the very first song I ever heard at any music festival - cue the sentimentality. I'd like to think that I'd love that throbbing intro riff and the strained romantic lyrics regardless but who knows.

It seems not enough people shared my sentiments about the track anyhow as despite two appearances at Oxegen, and decent press coverage, they disbanded soon after.



2 comments:

  1. Bit late at posting this, but I just found this link after searching for any news on the marshalls etc. So in case anyone else arrives here doing the same, here's what happened to the marshalls...some members went on to form Television Room, who released one excellent Pop album Coffee Houses, which was available only via download. Still on itunes i think.

    Michael John Kavanagh released a couple of solo records, both really good too, the One in Five ep and a full album A Truant and a Pirate. Beautiful guitar playing and really good songs.

    Worth having a google search for songs from any of these records.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, im not in any of those bands by the way. but i did really like them.

    chris d

    ReplyDelete